The Rev. Shannon Kelly’s passion and vocation has focused around ministry to and with children, youth, and families. Throughout her ministry, she has been advocating for and ministering with children and teens through the churches she has served and through the communities in which she has lived. This passion was formed in the Diocese of Idaho, where she worked at the diocesan camp, assisted with youth programs, and taught children in their Sunday morning formation time. She received a degree in English literature from the University of Idaho, and attended seminary at the Church Divinity School of the Pacific. She was ordained to the priesthood in 1999. Throughout her ministry, she has created and shaped many formation programs for people of all ages. Since her ordination, Shannon has served at:
- St. Mark’s Church in Palo Alto, California as Assistant Rector, where she focused on the development of formation programs for children and youth, liturgy and mission.
- The Parish of Christ the Redeemer in Pelham, New York, where she focused on the education and incorporation of all ages in the life of the congregation.
- All Saints Church in Pasadena, California as Senior Associate for Children, Youth and Families where she oversaw a department which focused on a multi-dimensional approach to ministry, appealing to a wide range of interests, styles and needs, including programs concerning social justice and spiritual formation for youth, Godly Play and family faith formation.
- St. Francis House Episcopal Student Center as the chaplain where she focused on ministry with college students and the surrounding community as well as serving the Diocese through her work on the Commission on Ministry, Commission on Christian Formation and the Christian Formation Task Force.
- The Episcopal Diocese of Milwaukee as Bishop’s Assistant for Christian Formation where she oversaw the formation for the Diocese, including Camp Webb, Deacon’s Formation Program, assisting congregations in discerning their formation needs, programming for children and youth, teacher training, and organizing the Safeguarding God’s Children program.
Shannon is currently serving as a Formation Consultant for The Episcopal Church, Associate for Curriculum Development for Living Compass, Editor at ChurchNext, and working as a freelance writer and consultant for formation programs. She serves on the Forma Board, on the Episcopal Youth Event Mission Planning Team, as the Province V Youth Ministries liaison to the Episcopal Church, and is involved in Episcopal Camps and Conference Centers programming. She wrote and edited God of My Heart, a book of prayers written by youth, for youth. She also recently served as the Chaplain to the General Convention Official Youth Presence and on the 2011 Episcopal Youth Event Design Team. She lives in Columbus, Ohio with her husband, The Very Rev. Dr. Thomas Ferguson, Dean of Bexley Hall Seminary, their son and dog.